Archive for the ‘The Family’ Category
November 10, 2015 • Category: News & Gossip
, The Family
Comments Off on Reese Witherspoon cuts back on acting roles
Reese Witherspoon cuts back on acting roles
Actress Reese Witherspoon has reduced her acting workload so she can spend more time with her three kids and husband Jim Toth.
The Oscar winner says she has scaled back her acting work in order to spend more time with her children Ava, 16, and 11-year-old Deacon, her kids with ex-husband Ryan Phillippe, and two-year-old Tennessee with current spouse Jim Toth.
Witherspoon , whose last film “Hot Pursuit” with Sofia Vergara came out in May, said: “My family comes first. I haven’t made a movie probably in a year and a half. I’m focused on my business, but also I want to spend time with my teenage daughter. It’s terrifying that my oldest child is about to leave [home to go to university]. I can’t imagine not sitting at the foot of her bed, saying, ‘So what happened at school today?’ ”
The 39-year-old actress accepts “it’s hard” to raise well-rounded children in Hollywood and she is particularly strict about what they watch on TV
12 things we learned about Reese Witherspoon at her American Cinematheque tribute
“All Reese, all Reese, all Reese!”
Matthew McConaughey had it mostly (all) right Friday night in twisting his trademark catchphrase as he presented Reese Witherspoon with the American Cinematheque Award at the annual fundraiser for the nonprofit group.
The bulk of the ceremony, which also honored Dreamworks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg, was devoted to the 39-year-old Witherspoon and the nearly 50 movies she has headlined or produced in a career dating back to her 1991 debut in Robert Mulligan’s lovely coming-of-age story “The Man in the Moon.”
Here are a dozen things we learned about Witherspoon from her many friends and colleagues:
1. Witherspoon will soon reunite with “Election” writer-director Alexander Payne for “Downsizing”, co-starring Matt Damon. Payne says he receives more compliments about “Election,” in which Witherspoon played a ferociously precocious high school student running for class president, than any other movie in his lauded career.
“Even Barack Obama told me it’s his favorite political film,” Payne said.
2. Sofia Vergara calls Witherspoon, her “Hot Pursuit” co-star, “my little pony.” She did not explain why.
3. When country music singer Kenny Chesney thinks of Witherspoon, he thinks of the song “Wild Child,” which he performed at the tribute. But he didn’t explain whether it was because she starred in a movie called “Wild” or because Witherspoon reminds him of the song’s lyrics, (“a spirit that can’t be tamed, a calico pony on an open plain.”) Wait … there’s that pony thing again!
4. Kate Hudson first met Witherspoon at the premiere of “Man in the Moon,” where she watched the young actress work the after-party “like a seasoned politician.” (Witherspoon did the same thing at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza’s ballroom Friday, graciously welcoming dozens of the 800 people in attendance.)
5. The words Hudson heard most early in her career: “It’s between you and Reese” or “Well … Reese has the offer. But if she passes, it might come to you.”
6. Witherspoon will not let guests get away with singing just any old Christmas song like “Frosty the Snowman” at her annual holiday party. “No,” Hudson says, “it’s ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas.’ ”
7. Apparently, Witherspoon’s husband, CAA agent Jim Toth, can’t sing. Or, at least not well. He’s not allowed to participate in “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”
8. Witherspoon yells at Laura Dern, who played her mom in “Wild,” for not being on social media more. And for using brown lipstick.
9. Dern’s mother, actress Diane Ladd, and Witherspoon’s mom, Betty (who sat next to her daughter at the Cinematheque event), are tight. Dern believes Witherspoon has an innate desire to take care of other people because she “grew up in a home of healthcare providers.”
10. Legendary music man T Bone Burnett had a feeling Witherspoon would win the Best Actress Oscar for playing June Carter Cash in “Walk the Line” when he heard her let out an “actual blood-curdling scream” in frustration after wrestling with the classic Carter Family folk song “Wildwood Flower.”
“All the birds flew away,” Burnett remembered of Witherspoon’s cry.
11. Robert Downey Jr. would very much like to order the Bessie Bow table runner from Witherspoon’s clothing and home store Draper James, but he can’t get his credit card to work.
12. Two of Witherspoon’s three children — 16-year-old Ava and 12-year-old Deacon — can’t get enough of this 1991 Entertainment Tonight video, in which a young Reese talks about how much fun it will be to go to the video store in 30 years and rent “The Man in the Moon” on laserdisc and watch it with her kids.
“I thought that was the best moment of my life,” Witherspoon said from the stage. “I was wrong about that. Some days I still can’t believe that I get to do this, that I get to be a storyteller in this world. It is the greatest privilege of my life.”
Reese Witherspoon: My Daughter Has Access to ‘Anything She Wants to Wear’ in My Closet
We can’t even imagine the gloriousness that is street style superhero Reese Witherspoon‘s closet, but we can imagine that if we were anywhere near it, we’d want everything. And there’s one young lady who has possibly the best proximity to one of the most enviable off-duty wardrobes ever, Witherspoon’s lookalike 15-year-old daughter, Ava. But just what is she permitted to borrow?
“Anything she wants to wear,” Witherspoon tells PEOPLE exclusively in this week’s issue. “She and I just swap clothes.”
Witherspoon adds of the budding fashionista, “She’s got great taste. I love to see the way she has her own sense of style. She’s a young woman and is really developing her sense of what she wants to look like.” That just happens to include rocking a whole lot of her mom’s line, Draper James, like the navy magnolia Nashville Shirt that we’ve spotted on Reese herself multiple times.
“It’s great to see her wear it and work it into her own wardrobe staples,” she says. “But she thinks I’m ridiculous, [saying], ‘I would never wear it like that, I’d wear it like this.’”
However, they do have similar taste when it comes to accessorizing — and beauty! “We actually both love the same hats, that’s what’s funny,” she says (check out her adorable Draper James Panama hat, below). “And we both love makeup. We go to Sephora maybe way too much. Ridiculous. But it’s fun — it’s great to have a girl and get to go shopping together and buy makeup and stuff.”
Aside from being a prime shopping buddy, Ava is also potentially a stand-in stylist. Says Witherspoon, “I really trust and value her opinion; she’s a very smart young woman and she helps me make a lot of decisions.”
Reese Witherspoon Talks ‘Weak’ Female Characters And One Thing Women Should Focus On In 2014
What does it take to get to the top — without losing your center? Our “Making It Work” series profiles successful, dynamic women who are standouts in their fields, peeling back the “hows” of their work and their life, taking away lessons we can all apply to our own.
Reese Witherspoon attended a young women’s conference at her teenaged-daughter’s school in Los Angeles, Calif. last month and was in good company: she brought along her own mother, her good friend Mindy Kaling and joined notable women like Maria Shriver and Lisa Leslie for a day of events and discussions.
Witherspoon said of her 14-year-old daughter Ava, “I don’t need to teach her much. She has a lot of self-confidence. I came from a very long line of very strong, hard-working women. So I think she gets a lot of inspiration from her grandmothers on both sides.”
But Witherspoon’s children must certainly garner a healthy dose of inspiration from their own mother, too. Witherspoon won an Academy Award for her performance as June Carter (another fierce woman) in 2005’s “Walk The Line” and currently has four films in post-production, including the smash bestsellers “Gone Girl” and “Wild.” Witherspoon has two children with actor Ryan Phillippe and a toddler with new husband and agent Jim Toth. She might have won Hollywood’s heart in “Legally Blonde,” but she has since proven herself as an extremely talented actor, singer and producer.
The Huffington Post spoke with Witherspoon, 37, about accomplishing everything you want, taking on the challenging role of Cheryl Strayed in “Wild” and what the most important thing women can do in 2014 is.
How do you define success and do you consider yourself successful by that measure?
I think more and more for me, it’s about finding balance between work and family and finding time for myself. I think it’s sort of 30/30/30 — or trying to be at least. Right now it’s sort of like 50/20/5 [laughs]. I think it takes time. You just learn, as you get older, to carve out time for yourself and still accomplish everything that you want. And I’m still in the process of having huge goals and things that I want to accomplish. But I’m trying to do those things while still maintaining a little balance.
Continue reading this entry »
Reese Witherspoon & Mindy Kaling Prove They Have The Best Friendship
Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling had a heart-to-heart conversation on Saturday; it just happened in a gymnasium full of teen girls and parents at Brentwood School in Los Angeles. For the school’s second Young Women’s Conference, the two actresses interviewed each other, and spoke bluntly about being underestimated, what their lives were like as teenagers and how one of them (read below!) is a “freeloader.”
Reese Witherspoon: I asked Mindy to do this with me because I’m terrible at speeches. I thought it would be interesting because we have been good friends for a while and when we talk, we run the gamut of conversations that women have about business and life. I just find her so inspirational, so we have prepared some questions for each other.
Mindy Kaling: We’re kind of the same age but you’ve been working for such a long time and you’re so accomplished. You act, produce and you’re a busy mom and wife. If you were a man, no one would ask you how you balance it all. They would just assume you can handle it. So I’m not going to ask you how you balance it all. But I will ask you what one thing is that you do just for you and for fun? My answer would be nail art. Like a 14-year-old girl.
RW: Few people know this about me, but I like to take hip-hop dance classes. I’m not saying I’m good at hip-hop dance classes, I just enjoy taking them.
MK: What level are you at?
RW: I’d say a one or a two. That’s the bottom. I liked taking dance classes when I was in high school and I was never any good at it. But they would bring three girls to the front and they’d say, “Okay, watch Sarah for her arms. And watch Lily for her legs. And watch Reese for her personality.”
Continue reading this entry »
• March of Dimes Celebration of Babies: A Hollywood Luncheon
Continue reading this entry »
Glamour Reese Witherspoon sends a huge and heartfelt congratulations to Reese, Jim, Ava & Deacon on this happy news!!
Reese Witherspoon is a mom for the third time.
The actress gave birth to a son, Tennessee James Toth, on Thursday, Sept. 27, her rep tells PEOPLE exclusively.
“Reese Witherspoon and husband Jim Toth welcomed Tennessee James into their family today,” the rep says. “Both mom and baby are healthy and the entire family is thrilled.”
The baby is Witherspoon’s first child with her husband, whom she married in March 2011. She is already mom to Ava, 13, and Deacon, 8½, from her prior marriage.
In March, a source told PEOPLE that the actress, 36, was eager to have another child. “Right after the wedding, Reese expressed a desire to have a baby with Jim,” said the source. “Reese has been very open with her kids about her plans to expand the family.”
Witherspoon, who initially kept her pregnancy under wraps, subsequently showed off her baby bump all around the world over the spring and summer — from appearances at the Cannes Film Festival to lunches and errands at home in Los Angeles. “Frankly, I’m feeling very round,” she told reporters in June.
Reese Witherspoon: “My full-time job is being a mother”
Being pregnant was no obstacle for Reese Witherspoon as far as Cannes is concerned. Though she’s five months along in her pregnancy, Reese was her typically bright and energetic self when she appeared at the fabled French film festival to promote her new film, MUD, starring Matthew McConaughey as a fugitive on the run looking to meet up with his long lost love (Witherspoon). Along the way, he meets up with two young boys anxious to learn about the world. Witherspoon posed playfully with McConaughey along the Croisette, signed autographs for fans, and generally looked radiant while her husband/agent/prospective father of her child Jim Toth was at her side. “This is such a beautiful and happy time in my life and I was very pleased to be able to come to Cannes and support the film,” Witherspoon said. “I play a kind of messed-up country girl in the film but I loved the fact that the story was set in the place where I grew up and was about these two boys learning about the world. I remember what it was like riding dirt bikes and getting into mischief with my brother, and I thought it was a beautiful story that took me back home in a way.”
The 36-year-old Witherspoon was sporting a serious baby bump in her black Versace dress and pink stilettos as she was seen making the rounds of various receptions at the prestigious film festival.
Witherspoon grew up as a part of an affluent family in Tennessee. Her father was distinguished surgeon and her mother was a top surgical nurse and later teaching nurse. She was famously married to actor Ryan Philippe for nine years until their 2008. She admits to having suffered for a time until meeting Hollywood agent Jim Toth two years ago. They were married in March of last year. She has two children from her former marriage to Ryan Philippe, Ava, 12, and Deacon, 9.
Continue reading this entry »