Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash
Co-starring: Joaquin Phoenix (as Johnny Cash), Ginnifer Goodwin (as )
Genre: Drama, Biopic, Musical, Romance
• Glamour Reese Gallery
• Glamour Reese Videos – coming soon
• Reese Witherspoon – “I feel thrilled to be part of it. I was desperate to play June Carter Cash. I would have crawled on hands and knees halfway to Memphis to play her. Partly because I grew up in Nashville, Tennessee, so country music is just part of my heritage and upbringing. It’s in my blood.”
• Reese Witherspoon – “It’s been so hard, it’s been really, really one of the hardest movies I’ve ever had to make. I had to do four months of rehearsals. I had to learn to play autoharp. I had to take singing lessons. I had to record an album, which was the most challenging, horrifying experience of my life. Me singing in front of people while they’re listening to me is just horrifying. And it gets exponentially horrifying when extras show up and have to watch you and you have to pretend you’re at a concert and singing and they like it.”
• John Carter Cash – “Reese is adorable. She’s great. I got to spend some time with her, and she’s just a wonderful angel. I believe that she’s doing an excellent job as my mother.”
• Reese earned her first Academy Award nomination for this film, and won!
• Reese did her own singing for this movie
• Reese never got to meet Johnny or June Carter Cash herself but the Cash family were very supportive of the movie and Reese’s casting, and helped Reese prepare for the role.
• Reese practised singing for six months and also took autoharp lessons.
• Reese signed on to this film thinking she wouldn’t be doing any singing!
• Cites this as the film that changed her because she spent so much time working on the character and it gave her confidence on stage.