Maureen Trant and her younger sibling Dani share a strong connection, but local boy Court Foster threatens to throw their bond off balance. Dani and Court meet first and have a flirtatious rapport — but when he meets Maureen, he falls hard and they begin a passionate affair. The new couple try to keep their love hidden from Dani, but she soon learns the truth, disavowing her sister. But a heartbreaking accident later reunites the girls.
Photos: Gallery at Glamour Reese Witherspoon
• Landed the lead role after answering a call for extras in her hometown newspaper.
• Reese Witherspoon – “Even if this doesn’t do really as well as we really hope it does, it’s okay. Just as long as we touched a few people, it’s really worth it.”
• Reese Witherspoon – “Well, I do, but I feel like this is a marking point in our career and it’s gonna be tough to ever really top this one.” [on whether she wants to be a successful actress]
• Robert Mulligan – [It was] “risky business, to say the least. We had a casting team that went out and saw several thousand kids and tested them on video. When I saw Reese’s test, she just jumped off the screen, simply as a personality. I couldn’t tell whether she could act or not, but she’s got a wonderful face and there’s a brightness and intelligence there. Then, when I tested her in Santa Monica, a strange breakthrough took place. Early in the movie, Dani is a bit of a tomboy. Reese was trying to project this in a scene where she had to get angry with the boy, but it had a false ring to it. Because in real life she isn’t a tomboy. She’s a real ‘girl’ girl. Just before we did another rehearsal, I told her I wanted her to chew gum. Well, she started chewing gum and all of a sudden the performance happened. She was tough. Strong. Direct. And the scene worked. Like that. In an instant, it was there. What was marvelous was, at the end of the scene, Reese knew that something happened. Her compass, her sense of what’s real, kicked in. The motor was running and she knew it. It was funny because she said: ‘Can I always chew gum?’ And I said: ‘Yeah.’” [on casting a then-unknown Reese]
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s Press page (related: 20 interviews)
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 Appearances Gallery
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 Magazine Scans Gallery
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 video interviews
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 talk show video interviews
• News & Updates for H at Glamour Reese Witherspoon